Re: [frogs] Adding docstring support to def-grace-function

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: [frogs] Adding docstring support to def-grace-function
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 08:40:13 -0700

Hi Patrick,

On 1/7/09 12:51 AM, "Patrick McCarty" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Frogs,
>
> This issue was recently mentioned on the mailing list:
>
> There are three music functions in Appendix B14 that cannot have
> docstrings.  These functions are:
>
> acciaccatura
> appoggiatura
> grace
>
> The reason docstrings cannot be added is because these functions are
> defined *indirectly* through the def-grace-function procedure.  You
> can find the definition of def-grace-function in
> scm/music-functions.scm.

Thanks for the clear explanation.  This should be helpful to all of us.

> In order to add docstrings to these three functions, we have to do two things:
>
> A.  Decide on the syntax
> B.  Revise the definition of def-grace-function to accomodate docstrings
>
> For A., using acciaccatura as an example, I propose the following syntax:
>
> acciaccatura =
> #(def-grace-function (_i "add docstring") startAcciaccaturaMusic
> stopAcciaccaturaMusic)

There are two reasons I'd like to try something different than this syntax.

First, docstrings always come after the arguments to the function.

Second this syntax would require a convert-ly rule, and so would need to
wait until work begins on 2.13.

A syntax that would not require a convert-ly rule would be

acciaccatura =
#(def-grace-function startAcciaccaturaMusic stopAcciaccaturaMusic
  (_i "Here is the docstring."))

because the docstring argument can be written as an optional argument
in the macro definition for def-grace-function.  So adding a docstring
is a syntax addition, not a change, and no convert-ly rule is needed.

Anybody else want to chime in?

Thanks,

Carl