Re: Japanese translation of Learning Manual

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Japanese translation of Learning Manual
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 02:23:21 +0100

Hello Yoshiki,

Thanks for your quick work on the Learning Manual.

Sawada, Yoshiki wrote:
My patches look dirty because I changed something on scripts directries to do
"make web" completely.

It looks like you reverted some changes to get the documentation to compile. I've certainly left the history with some Git revisions that don't compile, but reverting changes on your tree is only a resonable solution when you (or anybody) have already reported the error on this list and nobody has fixed it quickly; in this case, you probably did "git commit -a", which included in the first commit a lot of changes not concerning Japanese documentation.

I think my patch should show only changes on "python/langdefs.py", and
addition of "Documentation/ja/" and its files.

I removed changes regarding all files except Documentation/ja before applying, and I couldn't find any diff for python/langdefs.py, so even though I applied your work on lilypond/translation, its compilation will be not be enabled before I apply a patch from you for langdefs.py (I don't know how to write "Japanese" in Japanese :-)

How do I get neat patch?

Don't put changes you make to fix compilation and changes for the documentation in the same commit; for example use
"git commit Documentation/ja", and for more details do "git commit --help".

Don't worry about using Git, after some time you will surely get comfortable with it.

For now I only have one comments on your work: could you write your name as

@c Translators: Yoshiki Sawada

in the Texinfo sources, as the comma is used as a separator between different translators (yes, several French translators are often needed to complete translation of one file :-)? Thanks in advance!

Best,
John