Re: Please fix: japanese doc compilation

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Please fix: japanese doc compilation
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 01:57:15 +0100

Sawada a écrit :
I'm sure. Perhaps, we should not include Japanese translation in the source
codes until Texinfo supports Japanese. However, I want to make my translation
available in the web.

As it's possible to distribute Japanese translation at least in one compiled format, namely Texi2HTML. However, it is reasonable to enable the compilation of the Japanese docs only after you have provided a patch (or a patch set) that address these points:

- remove "@c -- SKELETON FILE --" lines in .itely files where you have translated at least a paragraph;

- provide Texinfo macros like @untranslated and the like, see e.g. Documentation/fr/user/macros.itexi to see what macros should be defined;

- provide translation of the tutorial (which you have already translated on http://irjb.s346.xrea.com/wiki/LilyPond+Learning+Manual.html so even if this this a huge work you already did most of it :-)

- provide Documentation/ja/{translations-template,index}.html.in and Documentation/po/ja.po (you needn't translate all PO entry, just figure out which ones are needed for translation of the Learning Manual, from the file names in which they appear).

- provide all (even Texinfo skeleton) files that would have been created by "make new-lang", e.g.

cd Documentation/
mv ja ja.orig
make ISOLANG=ja new-lang

then copy back files from ja.orig to ja and delete ja.orig.

I believe my translation will help Japanese users to
understand LilyPond more easily and is needed as the material for proofreading
as you think.

Certainly, and integrating it in the official sources and documentation will hopefully help for this.

Best,
John