Re: Patch for ja doc and two Questions

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Patch for ja doc and two Questions
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 03:04:55 +0100

Sawada wrote:
1. Release of the new patch for ja doc

I put it in the following page:
http://irjb.s346.xrea.com/wiki/Patches+for+LilyPond+Document.html
Please do not remove *.itely files for AU and Japanese messages catalog
(i.e. Documentation/ja/user/i18n/ja).
OK, I applied your patch, but made further fixes in the source, and made comments at the end of this email.

2. About .po file

Some words in .po files (i.e. "msgid"s) are used as both words in text and
variable names (or context IDs) in LilyPond inputs. I want to translate words in
text, but not variable names. The reason is because I can use multi-byte characters in text, but not in codes for LilyPond (and programming languages) .

For example, "dynamics" and "ossia" are used as words in *.itely files and
variable names in *.ly files. I want to translate "dynamics" as a word to
"強弱記号 (dynamics)", but not to translate "dynamics" as a variable name.

How do I do this?
The simplest way I can see is to disable translation of variable names in Japanese documentation,
which I just did in lilypond-book and langdefs.  Please check if it works.

3. About "Building documentation without compiling LilyPond" of "1.2.4 Building documentation", Application Usage

In that sub subsection, there is a command as following:
nice make LILYPOND_EXTERNAL_BINARY=/path/to/bin/lilypond web

I wonder "nice" is not needed, though it is harmless.
"nice" is not needed, that's a Grahamism, but I think it's not a problem if it remains there, I'd expect people who run this command with no knoweledge of nice comand to do "man nice" :-) There are other variations of this command (e.g. using -j make flag)... it's not possible to list all possibilities
in the compilation documentation.

@untranslated in Documentation/ja/user/converters.itely are right, but this file shouldn't contain the English translation,
so I removed it.

Also, the Japanese texidoc in input/lsr/piano-template-simple.ly is missing in input/texidocs, and you may want to translate
snippet titles as well, writing them in doctitleja header fields.

Best,
John