Re: Why do some Contexts never die?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Why do some Contexts never die?
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:12:35 -0300

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 5:33 AM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is there anyone who could help me understand this?
>
> Contexts in general die when they have nothing to do, but one Voice context
> within a Staff seems to live indefinitely, even when it has nothing to do.
> At first I thought the one selected to live was the first context encounted,
> but it's not that simple, as the examples below demonstrate.
>
> Why is this?  Is this an accident of the implementation or is it an
> essential feature?

you are doing constructs of the form

  { %% !!

     \new Voice = foo { .. }
     \new Voice = bar { .. }

  } %% end!!

The sequential marked !! has an iterator, and it will descend to the
lowest context automatically, but does not look into << >> constructs.
Effectively, in this example, this will keep "foo" alive until the end
of the seq music marked "end!!"