Re: CM 1.1 git question

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: CM 1.1 git question
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 12:10:38 -0700

On 2/19/09 9:53 AM, "Jonathan Kulp" <address@hidden> wrote:

> This sounds really useful.  I'd like to try to get comfortable with git
> on a project of my own, something that doesn't have an online repo.  How
> do I create a local git version of a directory on my machine?  I tried
> creating a new directory to house the new git repo and then doing
>
> git-clone ~/Documents/DirectoryName/

You don't have a git repository of your stuff, so you can't clone the
repository.

The way I do it is to change to ~/Documents/DirectoryName/ and type

git init

which will create an empty repository in the current directory.  Then you
add your files to the repository by typing

git add *

which adds all the files to the staging area, followed by

git commit

which commits them to the repository.  And now you're off and running!

Good luck,

Carl