Re: good news for my PhD

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: good news for my PhD
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 22:07:00 +0800

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 08:09:10PM +0100, Francisco Vila wrote:
> 2009/3/18 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> > That's the fun thing about logical implication.  A false premise
> > logically implies any conclusion, even impossible ones.
>
> Yes but I'd call it begging the question, a fallacy
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petitio_principii

No; begging the question would be p -> p.  (or q -> q)

p = "I have written source code (in the past few weeks) for lilypond"
q = "My source code is copyrightable"

We have:  p -> q

I'm arguing that ~q -> ~p, which is a perfectly valid point of
boolean algebra.
(~x means "not x" -- there's more than 5 different notations for
"logical NOT", which makes life fun)