Re: reducing ps file size (please comment)

From: demery
Subject: Re: reducing ps file size (please comment)
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 15:01:14 -0000

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009, Mark Polesky <address@hidden> said:

> Short version: I made some changes to output-ps.scm
> that can safely reduce the file size of ps files. In
> a simple experiment, I was able to reduce non-binary
> ps-code by up to 10%.

PS code is notorious for being voluminous.  Most of the time the stream
volatizes in the printer and noone cares beyond maybe some foot tapping at
the printer waiting.  binary inclusions such as fonts or illos are usually
the biggest cause of bloat.  now that so many cheap laser printers sans PS
rips are on the market even that is less of an issue as the
computer/printserver RIPs the PS code and sends image data to the printer.

A significant reduction in actual code can be had with careful use of a
private dictionary, sometimes just using shorter names for common
operators can help a lot (eg, mt for moveto), but also creating new
operators for common operations (such as positioning note heads).

--
Dana Emery