Re: Reverting Beat Grouping Commands

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Reverting Beat Grouping Commands
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 00:49:48 +0800

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 06:59:14AM -0600, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

> On 4/13/09 2:44 AM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >  \set #'autoBeamSetting #'(lengths 7 8) =
> >   \makeAutoBeamSetting '(* . ( 4 3 )
> >                     16 . ( 3 5 6 ))
>
> You're missing paragraphs on this setting.  It should rather be written as
>
> \makeAutoBeamSetting '((* . (4 3))
>                        (16 . (3 5 6)))
>
> which means I've been missing a set of paragraphs in my examples too.

(
'sup dawg, I

herd u like

paragraphs

so I

paragraph'd

this

parENTHESIS.
)

> Ahh -- I just thought that 8th notes are the longest notes with beams.  So
> we could specify the *  entries as eighths, and allow fractions

I'm not totally certain about that.  I mean, I'm not certain that
there aren't some wacky contemporary music pieces that change
this.

> \makeAutoBeamSetting '((* . (1.5 4 7))
>
> would then work properly.  Eighth beams would end at 4/8 and 7/8; 16th and
> shorter would end at 3/16, 4/8, and 7/8.  And we could avoid the whole cons
> cell entry, which I find rather difficult.
>
> I think I actually like this syntax quite well.  Let the code take care of
> all the complexity, and let users have it easy.

Speaking strictly from a user's point of view, why not keep the
  \set beatGrouping = #'(3 3 2)
which automatically takes the denominator of the time signature?
ok, from a code standpoint you want beatGrouping to die, so what
about
  \makeBeamGroupings #'(3 3 2)
and then translate that into the other stuff?  Then simple
beamings (I consider my irregular 8/8 time to be simple :) can
have a simple syntax, while people wanting exact control can do
those nested list funkiness.  In their bases, of course.