Automatically draw lyric extenders

From: Michael Käppler
Subject: Automatically draw lyric extenders
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 13:36:13 +0200

Hi all,
a few days ago I asked this on the -user list and got no response:
If a melisma occurs on a word's last syllable, I want lilypond to calculate the length of the melisma and automatically decide, whether an extender line is appropriate or not. The user should be able to enter a value for melisma length (f.e. four quarter notes), above which an extender line is drawn. Can please someone give me advice how to extend lilypond in a way that makes such a thing possible? I assume a difficult point is to measure the estimated melisma length >before< the extender line is drawn.

Cheers,
Michael