Re: PATCH -- Dashed Slurs

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: PATCH -- Dashed Slurs
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 20:05:44 +0100

2009/4/17 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:
> Carl D. Sorensen <c_sorensen <at> byu.edu> writes:
>

>> Please review my patch for dashed slurs on rietveld:
>>
>> http://codereview.appspot.com/40122/show
>>

> I've revised my patch to eliminate some debug garbage that was
> left in the files, and to make the bezier subdivide routine work for
> any degree of bezier curves (if the degree should shift from 3).  I also
> fixed some inconsistencies in tie support, and cleaned up the
> documentation.
>
> I also added new commands \*DashPattern that will take
> dash-fraction and dash-period and set slurs, phrasingSlurs, and ties
> to have a consistent user-defined dash pattern.

Carl, these are brilliant; they look wonderful.

I'm just looking through the patch at the moment, so I'll post
comments (mainly trivial things) at Rietveld.  I can't really comment
on the implementation itself, since the only thing I know about bezier
sandwiches is that they produce nice slurs and ties in LilyPond. :)

The main thing I'm concerned about is the situation with the current
style.  I've only tested the patch briefly, but it seems you can't
revert to constant-thickness curves.  Could we not keep 'dash-fraction
and 'dash-period for users who don't want variable thickness?  This
would obviate the need for a convert rule: any user wanting fancy
slurs or ties would set 'dash-definition, which would override 'dash-*
settings.

Regards,
Neil