Re: Improve implementation of dashed slurs

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: Improve implementation of dashed slurs
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 00:29:47 -0700 (PDT)

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > An example of a useful dashed bezier-sandwich arpeggio would be when
> > indicating arpeggios presumed to have been accidentally omitted from
> > a manuscript, within an urtext edition.
>
> I don't think so.  The proper way would be rather to use an arpeggio
> typeset with a smaller design size.  IMHO a dashed arpeggio looks
> horrible.  The more curves the object itself has, the uglier.

I'm a little confused. To which object are you referring?

Using a smaller design size might work with a squiggle-arpeggio,
but for composers who use the slur-arpeggio (I think Grieg was
one?), typesetting a thinner curve might be too subtle a
difference. Anyway, maybe it's a moot point. The question (as I
understood it) was whether anybody would want a dashed slur-
arpeggio and/or whether it should be implemented. Well, I want
it! (:

If implementing it is a trivial matter, then I say implement it.

- Mark