Date in the footer and Headers/Footers/Titles

From: Chip
Subject: Date in the footer and Headers/Footers/Titles
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 23:58:46 -0700

There has been recent discussion on -user regarding getting the date in the
footer. One of the problems in finding the solution has been the docs
themselves. I have a suggestion that may, in the long run, help straighten a few things out. But first I want to suggest this: move the section '3.2 Titles and headers' found in the NOTATION Reference to the LM. Why? Because the NR should
be about Notation, and headers/footers/titles are not notation.

As a nooby if I'm looking for info on adding a date to the footer I start by
searching for Footer in the index of the LM, but it's not there. Then I look in the NR, and it sends me to 3.2.2 Custom Titles. And now I'm thinking 'why am I reading about titles when I should be reading about the footer?' I see the bit
about evenFooterMarkup and oddFooterMarkup and no example of what to do with
them, just a very brief description.

After a search of the archive and no relevant answer I send a question to the
-users list asking about putting the date in the footer and get sent to LSR
'Titles Adding the current date to a score'. This doesn't help as it's about
titles and has nothing to do with the footer. I was also given a link to a work
in the LilyMusic web site in which I found the code that with minor altering
does exactly what I was asking for. This link didn't come from one of the
lilypond 'developers', it came from a very helpful user. Seems all I get from,
well, one, developer, is grief and no help.

You see the root of the problem? Headers are, without getting to nitpicky with
definitions for printed matter(books), at the top of a page, generally in
larger, or bolder, or different font from the body of the page. Titles are
generally a bit smaller than headers but larger, or in some visual manner,
different from the body text. Footers are at the bottom of the page. All three
are separate entities. And should be treated as such.

With all that said here is the code for the footer that solves the problem -
---------------
tagline = \markup {
Engraved on
\simple #(strftime "%b %d, %Y" (localtime (current-time)))
with \with-url #"http://lilypond.org/web/";
{ LilyPond \simple #(lilypond-version) (http://lilypond.org/) }
}
This code should be in the section that describes the footer, where ever it may be (currently NR 3.2.2). And maybe also in the LSR 'Titles Adding the current date to a score'. Though that whole section should be in the LM '2.5 Final touches'.

There have been complaints about noobys not doing anything to help so I have put in my first 2 cents worth in the hope that it will save someone else the grief I
had to deal with this week.

Regards,
Chip Wiegand