Re: Date in the footer and Headers/Footers/Titles

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Date in the footer and Headers/Footers/Titles
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 21:17:33 +0800

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 07:02:23AM -0500, Jonathan Kulp wrote:
> Chip wrote:
>> But first I want to suggest this: move the section '3.2
>> Titles and
>> headers' found in the NOTATION Reference to the LM. Why? Because the NR
>> should
>> be about Notation, and headers/footers/titles are not notation.
>
> I don't know that this needs to be moved to LM, but I can understand the
> confusion in the NR title, I suppose.

It absolutely should not be in the LM, but I grant that we could
consider renaming NR to "Lilypond reference" or "User reference".
The URLs point to Documentation/user/, so there's no real problem
there.

That said, I dislike making a huge renaming so soon after GDP.

>> titles and has nothing to do with the footer.

I'm a lot more willing to rename this section.  I've seen
somewhere between 3-10 people confused by this in the past 5
years.  "Titular material"?  "Headers and footers"?  Any
suggestions for the name?

What's the general typographical name for such parts of a page?

>> I was also given a link
>> to a work
>> in the LilyMusic web site in which I found the code that with minor
>> altering
>> does exactly what I was asking for. This link didn't come from one of the
>> lilypond 'developers', it came from a very helpful user.

That's because you didn't look in the right part of the docs (the
snippets)... or even better, you could have searched in LSR.  Your
inability to read the documentation isn't my problem.

I want to be very clear on this point: the information was there.
Why should it be our job to look in "Text" or "Titles" for you?!