Re: Page breaking and squeezing as many systems on a page as possible?

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Page breaking and squeezing as many systems on a page as possible?
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 10:01:46 -0700

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 12:22 +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Hi all,
> I already sent this to lilypond-user last week, but didn't get any hint for a
> solution, so maybe the devel list is more helpful:
>

> I'm currently trying to squeeze the choir part of a mass onto 8 pages.
> Here is the lilypond output with annotated spacing and skyline debugging
> enabled:
> http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/LilyPond/Pembaur_VierteLateinischeMesse_ChoralScore.pdf
>
> Does anyone have an idea why the fourth system is put on the second page
> instead of the first page? How can I make it appear on the first page.
>

> On the first page there is more than enough space to add a fourth system, but
> it seems that lilypond doesn't want to put one more system there (all other
> pages already have four systems, and the very last page 9 has one system
> left,
> so moving one more system to the first page finish my current task).

It might be that by moving the extra system on the first page, the
spacing gets messed up elsewhere. Due to the fact that the systems vary
in height, maybe it isn't possible just to move the first system on each
page back to the previous page.

As you noted in a later email, the Y-extent-estimates are somewhat too
large (this is probably because the treble clefs overlap the lyrics when
they are spaced accurately using skylines, but not when the estimates
are done). You can compensate for this by setting the
page-breaking-between-system-padding to something small (or negative);
see the NR section on \paper variables.

Joe