Re: Page breaking and squeezing as many systems on a page as possible?

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Page breaking and squeezing as many systems on a page as possible?
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 15:50:14 -0700

On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 23:45 +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 6. Mai 2009 19:01:46 schrieb Joe Neeman:
> > On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 12:22 +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> > > On the first page there is more than enough space to add a fourth system,
> > > but it seems that lilypond doesn't want to put one more system there (all
> > > other pages already have four systems, and the very last page 9 has one
> > > system left, so moving one more system to the first page finish my
> > > current task).
> >
> > It might be that by moving the extra system on the first page, the
> > spacing gets messed up elsewhere. Due to the fact that the systems vary
> > in height, maybe it isn't possible just to move the first system on each
> > page back to the previous page.
>
> The same problem also appears when I only typeset the Kyrie, which fits on
> the
> first two pages: The first page has three systems and more then enough space
> hold a fourth system, the remaining three systems are on the second page:
> http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/LilyPond/Pembaur_VierteLateinischeMesse_ChoralScore_Kyrie.pdf

This is puzzling; with ragged, we should favour more systems on earlier
pages rather than keeping things balanced. Can you send me the input
file?

> > As you noted in a later email, the Y-extent-estimates are somewhat too
> > large (this is probably because the treble clefs overlap the lyrics when
> > they are spaced accurately using skylines, but not when the estimates
> > are done). You can compensate for this by setting the
> > page-breaking-between-system-padding to something small (or negative);
> > see the NR section on \paper variables.
>
> Yes, that works to get four systems on the first page. But strangely, in this
> case the system breaking is different, so that the Kyrie takes one more
> system
> and I again end up with 9 pages (which doesn't work for booklet printing):
> http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/LilyPond/Pembaur_VierteLateinischeMesse_ChoralScore_spacing.pdf

If you unset ragged-bottom and ragged-last-bottom, lilypond will no
longer be quite so happy to stick a system on a page by itself.

> Compare this to the former version without page-breaking-between-system-
> padding, where the Kyrie has only 5 systems (the remaining pieces stayed the
> same):
> http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/LilyPond/Pembaur_VierteLateinischeMesse_ChoralScore.pdf
>
> I'm really at loss how to force lilypond to use 8 pages for this score.

You can always set page-count.

Joe