Re: Using .ily for included lilypond files

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Using .ily for included lilypond files
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 23:58:24 +0200

2009/5/20 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> Oh yes.  I can't even count the number of times I've sung "A sharp
> eight dot dash dash dash dot open left parenthesis".  It makes
> writing lilypond very easy!

Italian note names are much more pleasing from a vocal point of view :-)

> Umm... how is this worse than everything else in lilypond?
> \relative, \clef, \key, \time (vs. \times!),
> \numericTimeSignature...

Yes, but that's not the first thing you have to type. (Granted,
\relative will be required.)

> I'm not certain how these suggestions would define the scope of
> the command.

I'm not certain I understand this sentence. How can renaming a
shortcut limit its scope?

> I liked somebody else's suggestion (sorry, I completely lose track
> of names when it gets above 30 degrees)  that would allow
> different languages to be mixed freely.  Now, if you can think of
> a way to make these commands do the same thing, and can provide a
> patch to do it, I'm not opposed to accepting it.

Mmmh. I'll have to think about that.

> That defeats the whole point!  The whole idea is to reinforce the
> notion of .ly being used for the \score, and .ily being used for
> non-compilable files (if you know what I mean).  If we suggest
> that users use .ily for such files, but don't use the in the main
> lilypond source, they'll get confused.  It's all about user
> interface design.
>
> That said, this could be a way to phase it in gradually.  2.13.2
> retains the current system; 2.13.3 renames -init.ly to -init.ily;
> 2.13.4 changes the "optional" .ly files to .ily.

Which is why I said 'for now'.

Regards,
Valentin