RE: centering of instrument names

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: RE: centering of instrument names
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 12:03:39 -0700

On Sun, 2009-05-24 at 02:32 +0000, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Hi Neil (et al),
>
> I'm definitely talkin' out the back of my head here, but...  =\
>
> Can the instrument name blob take advantage of a "vertical skyline"
> ("profile"?) the way the rest of the notation (notes, etc.) take advantage of
> a "horizontal skyline"? That would certainly solve the problem precisely,
> without having to manually adjust #'padding or whatever.

We can (and do) use sideways pointing skylines (although they're called
"horizontal skylines" in the source). I think the problem here is that
the InstrumentNames currently are capable of positioning themselves (ie.
they don't have to know about the other InstrumentNames), and it
requires some structural changes in order to let them position
themselves as a group, which I think would be necessary in order to get
the result I've suggested.

Joe