Re: centering of instrument names

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: centering of instrument names
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 22:09:12 +0200

2009/5/24 Joe Neeman <address@hidden>:
> On Sun, 2009-05-24 at 02:32 +0000, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
>> Hi Neil (et al),
>>
>> I'm definitely talkin' out the back of my head here, but...  =\
>>
>> Can the instrument name blob take advantage of a "vertical skyline"
>> ("profile"?) the way the rest of the notation (notes, etc.) take advantage
>> of a "horizontal skyline"? That would certainly solve the problem precisely,
>> without having to manually adjust #'padding or whatever.
>
> We can (and do) use sideways pointing skylines (although they're called
> "horizontal skylines" in the source). I think the problem here is that
> the InstrumentNames currently are capable of positioning themselves (ie.
> they don't have to know about the other InstrumentNames), and it
> requires some structural changes in order to let them position
> themselves as a group, which I think would be necessary in order to get
> the result I've suggested.

Once properly centered, we could apply the negative padding workaround
in the meantime, in case of necessity.

Or, in a second pass, could each instrument name calculate  by itself
the distance to the leftmost brace, then apply an offset to all being
the lowest distance found minus the padding, if greater than zero? In
our example, the "Timpani in D,A" would be the closest one, that it
still can be shrinked.

Feel free to say this is a stupidity.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)