Re: git not fetching from origin...

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: git not fetching from origin...
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 19:40:08 -0700 (PDT)

Oh man, this is just way too frustrating.

Maybe it's a Windows thing, but nothing about git is clear to me
anymore. I feel like I'm trying to learn from three different
manuals, none of which quite work. Then I try out a couple of git
commands in the bash shell and next thing I know, everything's
corrupted...

I guess I'm confused about the difference between origin and
master. And the difference between pulling and fetching (and
cloning, though that's not mentioned in the CG).

If I accidentally make changes to master, and I try to pull from
origin, it says it's already up to date. I assumed origin was
supposed to be at git.sv.gnu.org, so does that mean I accidentally
made my local master the origin? Is there even such a thing as a
local master?

And how do I exit the EDIT_COMMITMSG window? I've included an
image showing the window. If I click on the X button, the whole
git bash shell closes along with it. That can't be right. And when
did my lily-local get ahead of origin/master by 47 commits?

I think the instructions in the CG just aren't clear enough. Is
anyone out there happily making git patches on Windows? Let me
know!

Thanks,
- Mark