Re: DOCS: revising LM "Score and Parts"

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: DOCS: revising LM "Score and Parts"
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 06:26:38 -0500

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
If there is at least one blank (on a german Windows the home
directory is called "c:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\<username>")
searching does not work.

providing a minimal (trivial) example demonstrating the VPATH problem.
Either this is a bug in the Windows port of GNU make, or they know a
solution.

This is a known issue. I found this (old but apparently still relevant) posting about it:

Pathnames and white space:

        Unlike Unix, Windows 95/NT systems encourage pathnames which
        contain white space (e.g. C:\Program Files\). These sorts of pathnames
        are legal under Unix too, but are never encouraged. There is
        at least one place in make (VPATH/vpath handling) where paths
        containing white space will simply not work. There may be others
        too. I chose to not try and port make in such a way so that
        these sorts of paths could be handled. I offer these suggestions
        as workarounds:

        1. Use 8.3 notation
        2. Rename the directory so it does not contain white space.

        If you are unhappy with this choice, this is free software
        and you are free to take a crack at making this work. The code
        in w32/pathstuff.c and vpath.c would be the places to start."

In the meantime I'll be sure there's a warning about this issue in the docs. I had the directory on the desktop, and there are no spaces in that path so it worked. When I tried to rename the "Documents and Settings" directory on XP, I got a warning saying it was a system folder and it was dangerous to rename. Windows 7 must have a different directory structure--now the "My Documents" directory is a subdirectory of my user directory. It allowed me to change "My Documents" to "Documents" without warning.

# The pattern rule to create PDF and MIDI files from a LY input
# file.  The .pdf output files are created in the `PDF'
# subdirectory, and the .midi files are put into the `MIDI'
# subdirectory.
%.pdf %.midi: %.ly
    $(LILY_CMD) $<
    if exist "$*.pdf" move /Y "$*.pdf" PDF/
    if exist "$*.mid" move /Y "$*.mid" MIDI/

Uuh, you are using `%.midi' in the rule but you are moving *.mid
files!  You should use `%.mid' too since this is what lilypond creates
if run on Windows, right?  The comment should be updated accordingly.

You're right, but oddly, it worked as expected even without fixing the pattern rule. The .mid files were put into the MIDI directory. I had forgotten the different suffixes until I saw them in there. I'll fix it in the Windows Makefile though.

Thanks Werner,

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp