Re: GUB on kainhofer: still cross/gcc

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: GUB on kainhofer: still cross/gcc
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 22:29:34 +0200

Am Sonntag, 31. Mai 2009 21:22:41 schrieb Jan Nieuwenhuizen:
> Op zaterdag 30-05-2009 om 22:46 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef Graham
>
> Percival:
> > Any more tips?  I'd really like to get this working so I can make
> > releases.
>
> Oh, you can also try to not waste your hardware resources and confuse
> softwary by just installing 64 bits ;-)

No, he can't, because it's my server, and I won't do any reinstall in the near
future.
Initially, I wasn't even aware that the server has a 64 bit CPU (and even if I
were, back then I didn' t have enough trust in the 64bit OS releases), so it
was set up with kubuntu 32bit.
And even now I would set it up with 32bit again, since I don't want to build
all my custom packages twice (I'm managing more computers than just that
server). Also, given my experience with creepy bugs in Korganizer, caused by
64bit versions of libraries and other incompatibilities, I still don't trust
64bit OSes enough to install it on a production server.

I think that's a pretty usual setup (most people I know have a 32bit version
of Linux installed on their laptop even though their CPU is actually a 64bit).

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886