Re: development on windows

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: development on windows
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 03:18:30 -0700

On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 11:03:58AM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> Graham Percival wrote Friday, June 05, 2009 11:19 AM
>
>> There's a surprising amount of interest in contributing to
>> LilyPond from Windows machines.  (err, I mean, from people *with*
>> Windows machines, not from the actual machines themselves)
>>
>> As I understand it, people with Windows can:
>> - run GUB
>
> I haven't tried - I didn't realise this was possible.
> Has anyone done it?

Err... by "run GUB", I mean "generate sheet music using the
downloaded .exe".  Even if somebody can't do anything else, with
this they can still contribute a great deal -- creating examples,
sorting/extending LSR stuff, etc.

Frankly, in some ways I wish that we had *more* contributors who
could only run GUB.  There's a lot of tasks that I consider "too
simple" for the git-savvy people to do, so as a result they tend
to remain undone.  :|

>> - compile the docs without examples by running texi2html manually
>
> Tick, but this is often screwed up if the version
> number in snippets is bumped by an LSR update, since
> this means they can no longer be compiled with the
> latest released version.
>
>> - compile the docs with GUB
>
> Must try this ...

Err, if the version number in snippet matters, then you *have*
been compiling with GUB.  In the "compile docs without examples",
I meant something like

- replace @lilypond[...] with @example
- replace @end lilypond with @end example
- compile docs with texi2html, without lilypond-book.