Re: unexpected \unfoldRepeats behavior

From: Jay Anderson
Subject: Re: unexpected \unfoldRepeats behavior
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 19:21:44 -0700

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Paul Scott<address@hidden> wrote:
> Which is kind of ridiculous if you're writing an ensemble piece with many
> (even more than one) voices/parts.  How can a midi of a multi-voice work
> with any repeats be done?

I was working on a large score and originally kept the repeat
structure separate from the individual parts and ran into the same
unfold-not-working problem. I thought about this a bit and decided it
was best just to have the repeats in each part. If you're going to
make a change to the repeat structure you're almost always going to
have to change each part/voice to match. Since this is the case it
makes sense to have the repeat structure in each part. If for nothing
else it makes it easy to find the beginnings and ends of repeats in
each part.

> I don't mind having a separate file for the midi output but not being able
> to factor out the common timing and dynamics costs a lot of input time and
> makes it a lot harder to make sure I haven't dropped a bar somewhere.

Actually I found that having the repeats in each part made it easier
to notice that bars were off. Lilypond throws errors where it thinks
the repeat timing problem is without having to look too much at the
pdf output.

-----Jay