stable/2.12 and tagging of tarballs

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: stable/2.12 and tagging of tarballs
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 17:12:34 +0200

Hi there,

I'm in the process of updating the openSUSE packages to 2.12.2
and spent quite some time finding out why it didn't build and
how changes in stable/2.12 came to be.

Today I was asked almost the same question by the Ubuntu packager.
Packagers still mostly release from tar balls instead of from
git archives, but since we switched to git our source tarballs have
no stamp indicated from which git version they were rolled.

As it turns out after discussing with Han-Wen, it seems that
2.12.2 was released from MASTER after stable/2.12 was branched.
Don't ever do that! ;-)

What I've done is for make dist is generate

   RELEASE-COMMIT file
   ChangeLog file with hopefully correct url to savannah

and include them in the tar ball.

Also, I have regenerated the stable/2.12 branch.  Included are
gcc-4.4 compile fixes, a spanish doc build fix and this tarball
tagging feature.  It would be nice (esp. for packagers)
to release a 2.12.3 rsn that actually build.

Greetings,
Jan.

AvatarĀ®: http://AvatarAcademy.nl    | http://lilypond.org