Re: development on windows

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: development on windows
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:02:22 -0500

Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
After making the .iso I tested it in Sun VirtualBox OSE and
everything worked perfectly. Here are the exact steps I followed
(see if you think they're noob-friendly enough):

1. Install the OS in VirtualBox, then restart the virtual machine
  and log in
2. open a terminal
3. open firefox
4. Get lilypond source code from git by copying the terminal
commands in CG (have to use Ctrl+Shift+V to paste into terminal)

Why not make a shell script that gets the lilypond source code, and make
that part of your distribution?

I'd thought of that but I don't yet know how to make a file appear in a user's home directory, which is where a script like this should go. The remastersys command creates a system install disc with no users--users are created during the install process. I'll check into it. On the other hand it won't hurt a newbie to run a handful of commands in the terminal. :)

Bert, if you send me ftp login info privately I can upload it to
your server.  Maybe I can do it at the office in evening hours and
it'll go a lot faster. I only have 256K upload speed at home. :(

If you'd rather snail mail me a copy, I'd upload it for you (but I can't do
it next week; I'll be in England).

Thanks for the offer, but it's uploading to Bert's site now. It's been going for four hours and probably has another 2 to go. I'm getting a whopping 36Kbs upload speed. Horrible. I'm paying for 256K, which is bad enough. Sigh.

I'll let you guys know when it's done uploading so you can try it out if you want. Best,

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com