Re: texi2html web page, second attempt

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: texi2html web page, second attempt
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 14:19:47 -0500

Graham Percival wrote:

3)  Ok, so why do I want to use texinfo so much?
- makes pdfs+info.  I personally *never* use those formats, but I
  know that some people still use them.  IMO, if we're going to
  support those formats for the manuals, we should support them
  for the information that's on the website.

For what it's worth, I almost always go to the pdf manual first when I need to find something.

- we all know texinfo.  It's easy to fix small mistakes in it.  If
  we go this route, I can have the content of the new website done
  by the end of this weekend.  Then we just need to adjust the
  style (tweak the init file, write a CSS, maybe make new images,
  etc).  Oh, and adjusting the translation stuff[*].

Yes, I know that texinfo is confusing for beginners -- by "we all
know", I mean "all the major lilypond contributors".  In other
words, "all the people who might be fixing typos and incorrect
content on the website".

I like this idea Graham, although I think I'd give you a run for your money in the "worst designer on the list" contest. :) As a "small fix" guy, it would definitely be easier for me to deal with texinfo files than with html. As weird as texinfo is, I find it much more human-readable than html source. I like the flexibility of its output, too.

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com