Re: proposals for LM B. Scheme tutorial

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: proposals for LM B. Scheme tutorial
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 14:18:43 -0700 (PDT)

Nicolas Sceaux wrote:
> >    #(begin
> >
> >    (define foo 0)
> >    (define bar 1)
> >
> >    )
> The formatting is bad.
> > #(begin
> >    (define foo 0)
> >    (define bar 1))
> Parentheses are never left alone on a line.

I respectfully* disagree:

Though I think it might depend on the size of the code within the
#(begin ...). When I have many screens worth of consecutive scheme
expressions lumped into a #(begin ...), the extra indenting (even
just 2 spaces) seems unnecessary. But even more to the point, when
the last expression is a large procedure, and I want to block-
comment it out for debugging, I don't want to accidentally remove
the terminal parenthesis of the (begin ...).

  (define foo 0)
  (define large-procedure ...))

And squeezing a little !# between parentheses is also a bad idea
since it's harder to find than if it were in the first column.

  (define bar 1)!#)

- Mark

*really. You're a LOT better than me at scheme.