Re: texi2html web page, second attempt

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: texi2html web page, second attempt
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 22:35:52 -0700

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 12:00:21PM -0700, Patrick McCarty wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Graham
> Percival<address@hidden> wrote:
> > To counter-act the "texi2html looks boring" idea, here's a new
> > version:
> > http://percival-music.ca/blogfiles/out/lilypond-general_1.html
>
> Cool!  I think this is a definite improvement to the website's
> organization.  I really wish we could port everything to XHTML, since
> it makes designing a little easier, but I guess we will have to use
> HTML 4.0 Transitional.

Well, we _could_ make it XHTML by hacking texi2html... but I think
the current HTML version is fine.  I'll just note in passing that
this one more advantage to using texinfo as an intermediate
language: we can export it to whatever backend(s) we want,
assuming we're willing to write those backend(s).  :)

> I would be willing to work on the CSS when everything is ready.  There
> are some major annoyances that texi2html has (like using <table
> class="menu" ...> instead of something more reasonable like <div
> class="menu">), but these issues can be worked around.

That's (relatively) easily changed (actually I changed it already
for the TOC in the init file).  If there's any particular
annoyances, let me know and I'll look through the init file and/or
the texi2html source.

> > - we also probably want to remove the <h1>section-name</h1> from
> >  the page.  Not a big deal.
>
> Or we could just hide it.  I'm already hiding "The music typesetter"
> on this page, because I could not think of a good place to put it:

Up to you, as the graphics designer.  :)