Re: lilypond vs. GNU/LilyPond

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: lilypond vs. GNU/LilyPond
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 09:34:14 +0200

2009/6/22 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> On the new website, I'm following the previous website which
> simply wrote "LilyPond".  Does anybody want to make a strong case
> in favor of replacing this with "GNU/LilyPond" everywhere?

If you are talking by similarness with GNU/Linux against Linux, it's
not the same case. GNU is an operative system and Linux is its kernel.
The complete system with its kernel included is GNU/Linux. But Linux
is not GNU software.

An example of the GNU operative system with a different kernel was the
GNU/Hurd project. If any among you think that the kernel makes the
operative system and GNU plays no role in a Linux system, think again.
Linux is _nothing_ without the GNU system around it (well maybe
embedded systems like smartphones and the like do not have GNU into
them, I'm not sure).

LilyPond is GNU software. The first times we talk about it we should
name it as GNU[space]LilyPond, then LilyPond for short.

> (or maybe just once or twice, in the intro or something like that?)

Yes, IMO

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org