I want to develop automatic lyric contraction

From: Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
Subject: I want to develop automatic lyric contraction
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 14:25:23 +0200

Hi,

I'd like to dig myself into the C++ source of LilyPond.
I have a long-wished feature, for support automatic lyric contraction.
That means the following:
When there is not enough space for a hyphen to appear, the hyphen is removed. Like instead of "yeah - yeah - yeah", "yeah yeah yeah". In these cases I would like LilyPond to automatically contract it to "yeahyeah - yeah", moving the syllables, taking kerning into account.

Do you think it is feasible without major rewrite? I do see some callback to the lyric syllable in the hyphen engraver, but I'm not sure about it.

(Also, for some languages contraction would change the spelling, e.g. in German c-k may become kk, Hungarian sz-sz becomes ssz. But that's another story.)

Bert