Curved beams?

From: Erik Rodkey
Subject: Curved beams?
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 14:21:48 -0700

I'm a new user of Lilypond, very impressed by the ease of use (once you get into it) and results from the program.
However, the flexible nature of this program makes me wonder if it would be possible to apply a bezier curve to the beaming tool, in order to create the sort of curved beams which was common in Baroque music, both handwritten and engraved.

I don't mind having a go at this myself, but would appreciate tips general or specific from those experienced with the source code.
Any idea how to go about doing this?

Cheers,
Erik.