Re: lilybuntu confusion

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: lilybuntu confusion
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 19:18:34 -0700

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 10:50:07PM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> Graham Percival wrote Wednesday, July 01, 2009 9:32 PM
> Subject: Re: lilybuntu confusion
>
>> On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 10:24:24AM -0700, Mark Polesky wrote:
>>
>> Not to discourage this whole endeavor, but this can be kind-of
>> done already -- you use the last binary rather than compiling
>> lilyond from source, but as long as there's no syntax updates, it
>> works just fine.  I've done this for years (yes, even during
>> GDP!), and Trevor still does this.
>
> Sort of.  I never actually compile the whole documentation.

Ah, sorry.

> All I need to do is to check that any edits I make are not
> going to break compilation, so all I need is to pass
> the single file I've just edited through lilypond-book,
> run a simple script to check refs, and then run texi2html
> so I can check the formatting and appearance in a browser.
> I have a script to do this and it usually works fine.  It's
> far quicker than building the whole set of documents - typically 10-30
> secs depending on the number of examples and snippets to be compiled.

Does this still compile the lilypond examples?  That would take
take much longer than 10-30 seconds.  If there's a way to generate
the docs without compiling lilypond examples (i.e. just show the
verbatim code, without actually generating the images), that would
be awesome.  99% of doc updates don't need to be image-checked, so
that could save me/whoever a lot of time.  :)