doc suggestions (was Re: Reading the LM)

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: doc suggestions (was Re: Reading the LM)
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 12:21:53 -0700 (PDT)

(moved from -user)

Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> 1.1 Background
> 6th paragraph
> "so nitpicking about typographical details may seem academical."
> "so nitpicking typographical details may seem academic."
>
> It's not as verbose as the example given on the website for
> changes to documentation.  But is this format clear? Also, should
> I just post everything on the list when I'm done, or send it to
> someone directly?

Post everything on the list, but not this one. Send documentation
suggestions to address@hidden and apparent bugs to
address@hidden . In my experience, apparent bugs are usually
not true bugs. It's weird, I know.

You can read archives here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/

You can subscribe here:

> 2.  In 2.2.6, partial measures and gracenotes are covered.  In
> the previous chapter, autobeaming is covered.  Put them all
> together and, wham! A partial measure starting with a gracenote
> turns off autobeaming, even if it's explicitly turned on:
>
> \relative c' {
> \key c \minor
> \partial 8
> \grace ais8
> b8
> \autoBeamOn
> c d ees f g aes bes c
> }
>
> I saw one archived message about this, but no replies, and I
> couldn't find it listed as a bug on the google code page.  Should
> this be added to the list of bugs, or am I overlooking something?

It's listed here:
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=372&q=partial&sort=-id

But I suppose we should add some "Known issues and warnings" to the
Notation Reference (I couldn't find any relating to this).

Just to be clear, the workaround for you (don't forget proper
indentation) would be this:

\relative c' {
  \key c \minor
  \grace ais8
  \partial 8
  b8
  c d ees f g aes bes c
}

I'm moving this to lilypond-devel, which is a better list for this
topic. You'll probably want to subscribe to both lilypond-devel and
bug-lilypond if you haven't already.

Thanks for your contribution.
- Mark