Re: proposal for user view of docs

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: proposal for user view of docs
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 19:13:14 -0700

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 01:42:33PM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
> Le samedi 11 juillet 2009 à 03:13 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> >   There are a few modifications:
> >     - the top menu from the website might still present (I'm not
> >       certain if this would be a good idea or not)
>
> I second this, as this would make the link between documentation
> Why not just naming this page "Documentation" (or even "Documentation
> Central" à la Python) instead of "Manuals"?  I can see no risk of
> confusion between this and documentation for developers and contributors
> (which can be found under Community).

A few weeks ago in one of the website draft threads, somebody
proposed "Manuals" instead of "Documentation".  Jan approved of
the idea.  At first I was a bit iffy, but now I like it better
than "Documentation".

That said, I'm not absolutely wedded to the word change.  I mostly
like it because it's shorter (so more space between top-menu
entries) and has a different letter than "downloads" (so the mind
can more easily recognize that it's different from "downloads",
especially when they're next to each other).

> > - there is no other user documentation.  Things on the old
> >   index.html.in: Examples is dead (merged into the new
> >   Introductions->Examples), Translation Status is merged into
> >   the CG,
>
> Translation status is not only information for translators, but for any
> non-English-speaking user too, so it should appear in Manuals, maybe in
> small letters, and in the footer of translated pages. It certainly has
> not its place in the CG.

Really?  Ick, we already have so many sections in Manuals... but I
already added a fourth "section divisor" to this chapter, so
there's a natural place to put this.  Ok, done.