Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 15:40:44 +0200 (CEST)

>> Please use two spaces after a full stop in documentation strings for
>> consistence.
>
> Since this is incorrect typographical practice,

It really depends.  IIRC, the Chicaco manual of style recommended
this.

> and Lilypond prides itself on beautiful typography, I'm surprised
> this is the standard in the docs — why/how was this decision made?

There are two reasons.

  1) Editors like Emacs benefit from having two spaces after a full
     stop so they can recognize the end of a sentence properly -- in
     contrast to an abbreviation which is followed by a single space
     only.

  2) The `info' program needs two spaces a full stop for similar
     reasons.

Note that documentation in either HTML or PDF format created with
texinfo doesn't show those two spaces.  It's just a means to better
organize the source code and not related to the output.

    Werner