Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 16:30:11 +0200 (CEST)

> "The view at CMOS is that there is no reason for two spaces after a
> period in published work."

Ok, whatever :-) Look up references to TeX and LaTeX for more on this
topic.

> However, the PDF (e.g., the NR) *appears* to preserve double-space
> sentence separations — where (e.g., some
> specification/documentation) can I confirm that the process which
> generates the PDF version of the docs turns double-spaced source
> into single-space output?

For TeX, it is completely irrelevant whether there are one, two, or
more spaces between words (and after full stops).  However, there are
special cases for American typography.  To cite the texinfo info
pages:

  In American typography, it is traditional and correct to put extra
  space at the end of a sentence, after a semi-colon, and so on.  This
  is the default in Texinfo.  In French typography (and many others),
  this extra space is wrong; all spaces are uniform.

  Therefore Texinfo provides the address@hidden' command to control
  the spacing after punctuation.  It reads the rest of the line as its
  argument, which must be the single word `on' or `off' (always these
  words, regardless of the language) of the document.  [...]

Indeed, I just see that @frenchspacing is only used for French and
Japanese (the latter only partially).  It should be activated for all
languages except, perhaps, English.  Note that I don't care what you
native speakers actually decide for English :-)

    Werner