Re: Lilypond Syntax Development and 3.0

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Lilypond Syntax Development and 3.0
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 05:05:00 -0700

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 01:31:35PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:

> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > - We're going to have lots and lots of emails flying around.  They
> >   don't really fit into either -devel or -user, so we'll use a
> >   mailist on lilynet.net.  Maybe the already-created proposals
> >   mailist, maybe a address@hidden mailist.
>
> Huh?  Why would a discussion about syntax not fit into -devel?

Because many suggestions will be silly.  Many suggestions will be
obviously impractical to developers, but not users.  Many threads
will devolve into discussions about historical music pedagogical
terms.  In short, there will be a lot of non-focused chit-chat.

In the context of brainstorming and trying to pin down the format,
I welcome silly/impractical suggestions (as long as they pertain
to the syntax element(s) in question).  But in the context of
people with limited time trying to get serious work done, easily
90% of the emails about syntax changes will be unwelcome.

That's why I propose that the initial discussions take place on a
separate list with a mixture of interested users and developers.
Once that group has finished discussing a particular syntax
change, I'll bring it to -devel.