Main page of new website [was: some css tweaks]

From: Maximilian Albert
Subject: Main page of new website [was: some css tweaks]
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 23:48:46 +0900

Hi all,

> Attached are some css tweaks, you can see them in
> action at
>
>   http://lilypond.org/~janneke/lilypond.org

Following the link reminded me of a comment I already wanted to make a
while ago. While we are at changing the design of the website (which I
consider a very good thing), I'd strongly suggest that we take the
opportunity and make it more easily recognizable *at the first glance*
that LilyPond is a *music* notation software. I know that it says so
in the subtitle, that there is the explanation "What is LilyPond"
directly beneath it and that the image features some notes and staves
in the background. But frankly, even though I was actively looking for
it when opening the new page for the first time, it took me a while to
find the information what LilyPond actually does. The subtitle is
really small so that all you actually read is "LilyPond" (which
doesn't give a clue to uninitiated), the paragraph about LilyPond
beneath it almost vanishes among the News and the notes in the image
are only recognizable if you actively for look them.

Now imagine potential new users who more or less accidentally browse
to the website. I may be wrong, but from personal experience I'd say
that they decide within the first (few) second(s) if they close the
window again or if they want to take a closer look. And if the site
doesn't give them a good and decided incentive to stay, they will
leave, which I'd find a pity.

Don't get me wrong, I like the new design. But I think with a couple
of small tweaks it can be made into a real eye- (and new-user-)catcher
instead of just a nicely-looking but not overly captivating webpage.
Unfortunately, I'm not a graphic designer, so I can't make very good
suggestions apart from the points mentioned above. Maybe put a big
note next to the title? Perhaps even the image from the introduction,
which I think excellently conveys LilyPonds mixture of professionality
and aesthetics? BTW, now that I look at it again, I feel that the
picture of the lily does not totally get the message across how much
emphasis LilyPond puts on good and professional design and quality
(and how good it actually is). This was already the case with the old
image, and the new one is _a lot_ better, but to me it seems that
there is still a gap between the quality of the software and its
representation towards the world (via the website). Am I the only one?

Sorry, this was a long email for a very simple message. And again, I
apologize that my remarks are hardly constructive (maybe others have
better suggestions?) . But I'd really like to see a faszinating,
well-polished and attractive new site. I think LilyPond deserves it,
and this is the opportunity.

Cheers,
Max