Re: harmonicDots

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: harmonicDots
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 11:13:10 +0100

Graham Percival wrote ages ago on  Monday, October 06, 2008 8:00 PM

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 19:53:10 +0100
"Neil Puttock" <address@hidden> wrote:

2008/10/6 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> Why isn't
>  \set HarmonicDots = ##t
> set by default?  IMO we should normally print the dot in
> <c\harmonic>2. by default -- if somebody wants to suppress > this,
> let them use a =##f tweak.

I agree, though \harmonic is really for use with artificial harmonics; your example should really use \override NoteHead #'style = #'harmonic (which would naturally show dots). We could have a predef for this
usage, I suppose.

Agreed.  \harmonicHeadsOn and \harmonicHeadsOff ?

I'm gradually clearing away some old TODOs.
This was one of them.

I've added the new predefs and changed the docs
to suit.  Having done that, I'm not sure that
we still want to change the default value of
harmonicDots.  Is it the usual practice to show
artificial harmonics with or without the dots?
The dot is of course visible in the base note.
And by using \harmonicsOn it is shown by default
for natural harmonics.

Trevor