Re: Should Dot_column_engraver be in Voice instead of Staff?

From: Andrew Hawryluk
Subject: Re: Should Dot_column_engraver be in Voice instead of Staff?
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 22:15:59 -0600

2009/8/5 John Mandereau <address@hidden>:
> dots.ly before
> dots.ly after
>
> collision-mesh.ly before
> collision-mesh.ly after

I think even this simple case might fail if the dots were placed in
the Voice context:

In the example that Mark found, the non-aligned notes are certainly
superior, but I'm not sure what rule would determine whether the
alignment is desired for every case. Would it be as simple as 'keep
the dots unaligned unless collisions result' ? I guess this would
require significant surgery to the Dot_column_engraver, no?

Andrew