Re: Examples (for the web site and complete scores) status

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Examples (for the web site and complete scores) status
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 18:46:35 +0200

Le jeudi 06 août 2009 à 00:08 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> IMO, there are two kinds of examples here.
> 1)  advertizing examples: "we can do tabs, complex rhythms, lots
> of accidentals, gregorian chant, etc etc".  We expect people to
> glance at the image and then move on.
> 2)  educational examples: part of the documentation.  We expect
> people to read the source if they're interested.
>
> I do not think that we should mix #1 and #2.

I surely agree about not mixing them in the output, but input files for
#1 could be reused for #2.

> Now, I asked Jonathan to look through input/ and input/mutopia/
> for anything worth keeping for the website.  I assume that he's
> done so, so evidently nothing there fits into category #1.  If you
> think he missed anything cool, then by all means we can add
> another item to the Examples page.

I don't think so.  The examples page looks great besides one little link
in small font size to the sources (or to a dedicated Snippets page, see
below).  My concern is about what to do of files in input/.

> As for category #2, we already have a great location for pieces of
> input: the snippets.  If there's anything of educational value in
> input/, let's put it into LSR.  We don't currently have a
> "complete pieces" or "long examples" or whatever tag, but I'm sure
> Valentin would love to add one.  I think it's important that, once
> users get expectations about the docs+website, we meet those
> expectations.  One expectation is that examples of input notation
> are in the Snippets.

Agreed, but we'll have to think about the way these larger examples
(many of them are full pieces) should be compiled on LSR and in the
docs.  In particular for our docs, I'm not sure lilypond-book processing
is desirable, I'm willing to keep them compiled directly by LilyPond,
and we'd have a special page in Snippets documents, e.g. generated by an
updated avatar of mutopia-index.py (the script that generate old
Examples page).  Thoughts?

You already know I'm lazy about renaming directories (one reason is,
it's so easy to forget someting, for instance did you rename pictures/
to logo/ in GUB? ;-), and the full pieces snippets should probably in a
different directory if we don't compile them with lilypond-book.

Cheers,
John