Re: PATCH: Improved tablature support

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: PATCH: Improved tablature support
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 07:49:18 -0600

On 8/5/09 7:19 AM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl Sorensen wrote Wednesday, August 05, 2009 1:42 PM
>
>> If we decide to use this same function for the general case of
>> switching to
>> a cross-shaped notehead, then we will redefine it to either
>> crossHead or
>> xHead, but we will still keep deadNote (the semantically correct
>> term for
>> guitar tablature) as an alias for xHead.
>>
>> In the meantime, we can move forward on tablature.
>>
>> As I see it, the current decision causes problems only if we were
>> to change
>> to xHead in the future and eliminate deadNote.  And I see no plans
>> in the
>> future to eliminate deadNote.
>>
>> Does this make sense to you?
>
> Thanks Carl and Marc for the explanations.
>
> I think it was a pity that the groundwork
> for a more generic approach was not laid
> down right away, so we could have easily
> added the aliases for all the other uses
> of crossheads, but I accept that no great
> harm has been done by this parochial approach,
> as long as future developers don't forget
> this can be easily changed.  Now it's documented
> here there is less chance of that, but it
> would be even better if you could do it
> while it's fresh in your mind :)

The generic approach has now been pushed to git

247f0b6d46fd8f3253a99f95a70ce14345daa5f9

There's a generic styledNoteHeads music function that applies a note style
to music whether or not it's in a chord construct.

deadNotes and palmMute have been redefined to use the generic functions
instead of a specific function.

> I'd be happy to document it, add aliases,
> and flesh out NR 2 wherever crossheads are
> used.

Please feel free to add aliases and flesh out NR 2 wherever special music
heads are used (crosses is one example; harmonics might be another).

But we're hoping to get one of the members of the tablature user community
to develop the tablature documentation once 2.13.4 is released.

Thanks,

Carl