Re: git hang-ups

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: git hang-ups
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 20:36:36 -0700

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 06:45:38PM -0700, Graham Percival wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 06:18:20PM -0700, Mark Polesky wrote:
> >
> > Graham Percival wrote:
> >
> > > If you do restart, try the
> > >   git clone --depth 1 git://URL
> > > method.  (the CG will probably be updated to use this method in a
> > > week or so)
> >
> > it seems that this method is not suitable for developers with
> > push access. You can't push from it -- see below.
>
> I've done it.
>
> > --depth <depth>
> > Create a shallow clone with a history truncated to the specified
> > number of revisions. A shallow repository has a number of
> > limitations (you cannot clone or fetch from it, nor push from nor
> > into it), but is adequate if you are only interested in the recent
> > history of a large project with a long history, and would want to
> > send in fixes as patches.
>
> I read that before, but I tried it anyway.  git push was just
> fine.  I was using git 1.5.6.5.  I'll double-check in a few days,
> before changing the CG.

I've just tested git's shallow cloning feature.  It's pretty neat.
:-)

>From what I can see, shallow clones would be okay for *casual*
contributors that are only sending patches based on the tip of master.

However, since git history is limited to the depth of the clone, then
shallow clones would not permit a developer to revert a commit from,
say, three weeks ago.

In other words, I think both the "git clone" and "git clone --depth"
methods should be included in the CG.

Thanks,
Patrick