Re: Widening one measure so that dynamics don't overlap

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Widening one measure so that dynamics don't overlap
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:18:56 +0200

Am Montag, 17. August 2009 19:56:04 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
> Hi Reinhold,
>
> > How can I make that one measure wider, while all other measures are
> > spaced normally?
>
> Here are a couple of ideas:
>      1. \override the NoteColumn #'X-extent

It seems I can't get this to work at all.

>      2. \override the Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn #'padding

I have tried this, but that does not work with \once and without once, it
affects the whole score, so that it doesn't fit on one page any more.

>      3. create a new dynamic which includes both dynamics and the
> desired amount of hspace

Since the same music is also quoted in the piano reduction and in the
individual voice score, hardcoding a vertical position will break due to the
different horizontal stretching in the different scores.

>      4. add a hidden voice with a MultiMeasureRest, and adjust the
> #'minimum-length.

Ah, thats a nice idea. I had tried a hidden voice with normal notes (like in
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=126), but that (a) messed up \relative,
(b) gave me note column collisions and (c) also required hiding Dot, ledger
lines, etc. And of course, that didn't give me any option to set a minimum
width!

> #4 is the technique I use most often.

Yeah, that seems to work best. I'll add a snippet to the LSR, since I can't
fine anything regarding this issue. It might also be added to the NR "4.5.1
Horizontal spacing overview" (there it only speaks of
Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn #'padding, which I couldn't get to work for only
one measure).

My solution is posed to the LSR:
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=629

Thanks a lot,