Re: [git 17e68b85] make error in documentation

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: [git 17e68b85] make error in documentation
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 03:55:00 -0700

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 08:57:26AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> It seems that (a) either `convert' or the file has some problems (but
> inkscape loads it without problems) and (b) that it has been forgotten
> to add a PNG version of this file.

As for (b), I wanted to add png versions:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2009-08/msg00730.html
but I've been told off in the past for adding files that could be
added automatically.  Since nobody said "sure, go ahead", I
figured I should generate them from the svgs.  It took me over two
hours to get the svg->png creation, not counting whatever time
Patrick spent on the process as wel.

> [Shouldn't the SVG->PNG Makefile rule be disabled, and perhaps moving
> the SVG images to a separate directory?  Or do you `touch' the PNG
> files in advance to avoid execution of the rule in case there are file
> creation time issues during checking out a git repository?]

I don't understand what you mean by touching the files in advance,
which isn't surprising since I've never tried to learn make or our
makefile process.

When I do a "make doc-clean" in Documentation/pictures/, followed
by a "make doc", my version of imagemagick (6.3.7, from a standard
debian/stable install) creates png images.  Patrick is IIRC using
6.5.1, so I figured that there wouldn't be problems using convert.
If necessary we could use inkscape or rsvg, but I'd rather not
increase the build requirements.  (IIRC inkscape isn't required
for master)