Re: strange character "\f" found in source

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: strange character "\f" found in source
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 21:18:58 -0700

On 2009-08-21, Mark Polesky wrote:
> Patrick McCarty wrote:
> > - The ones in COPYING are important in that they define
> >   where the page breaks (form feeds) are.
>
> Okay.

Well, I just downloaded gpl-2.0.txt from gnu.org to see if it has
formfeeds, and it does not.

So I'm okay with removing these.  :-)

> > - The ones in define-markup-commands.scm are used to
> >   delimit new sections.
>
> Okay, but there's no consistency -- they are used to delimit
> 4 sections out of 15:
>
>   utility functions
>   geometric shapes
>   space
>   importing graphics
>   basic formatting
>   property
>   files
>   fonts
>   symbols
>   \f
>   glyphs
>   the note command
>   translating
>   \f
>   brackets
>   \f
>   Delayed markup evaluation
>   \f
>   Markup list commands
>
> And why, out of the 70 or so other files in scm/ should
> this be the only one to use them?

You're right.  There usage does seem pretty haphazard.

Now that I'm listening to your argument, I'm in favor of removing
these too.

> What do you think?

I think we should remove the formfeed characters from COPYING and
define-markup-commands.scm, but leave the single formfeed in the
emacsclient patch.

Thanks,
Patrick