Re: [git 17e68b85] make error in documentation

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [git 17e68b85] make error in documentation
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:51:29 +0200 (CEST)

>> Basically, I agree, but the case of SVG is quite problematic since it
>> relies on external fonts at certain locations.  In particular,
>> `annotated-demo.svg'
>
> We don't use annotated-demo.svg.

Well, but due to the generic SVG->PNG rule in GNUmakefile it is
converted anyway, and this conversion process fails with my
(apparently faulty) 6.4.3 version.

> annotated-demo.svg should probably be deleted,

It should be moved to a place where the SVG->PNG rule isn't active.

>> With `touching' file `foo.png' I mean to call
>>
>>   touch foo.png
>>
>> or something similar so that `foo.png' gets a recent timestamp.
>> This assures that `make' doesn't try to rebuild `foo.png' from
>> `foo.svg' due to incorrect timestamps.
>
> We don't do this for the other convert or gs rules in
> Documentation/pictures/GNUmakefile.  Should we add such a `touch'
> rule for all the conversions, or is there some reason why the svg
> generation is different from the gs -dAutoRotatePages... rules?

Adding a `touch' rule only makes sense if you provide both the SVG and
PNG files in the repository.

    Werner