Re: Breve with double lines on each side

From: demery
Subject: Re: Breve with double lines on each side
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 19:25:10 -0000

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009, Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> said:

> Regarding the single- vs. double-line breve: I have not yet found a reference
> to the single-line breve. Only the double-lined breve can be found
> practically
> everywhere:
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brevis
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_whole_note
> http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/textd/Doublewholenote.html
>
> So, shouldn't we change the default to double-line breves?

what, no print references?

Ted Ross, (1970) _The art of Music Engraving & Processing_ shows both
(also a white-mensural breve) on p A44.  His single-lined one seems to me
to have a thicker line than the double, but it could be ink spread.
another sighting on A57, this time just the single line version.  Earlier
in the text he uses the whitemensural form (two vertical thin lines joined
by a pair of heavy thick ones, the thins making 'ears' above and below;
all not quite as tall as a full space).

Unicode Music Symbols Page shows the double line at 1D15C.

Not sure which should be prefered, but the double is clearly needed, and,
at least at some point in the last century, the old form of the breve was
clearly acceptable too, making three in all.

--
Dana Emery