Re: What's the deal with info documentation images?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: What's the deal with info documentation images?
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 06:50:37 +0100

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 07:21:33AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > ... and by some odd coincidence, we haven't made a stable release
> > with it in such a state.  Imagine that!
>
> Does that mean that one is not supposed to report problems until a
> stable release has been made?

The documentation, particularly the build process, is in heavy
flux at the moment.

> It would make much more sense to land the user in either the command
> line reference (with top-level links to the notation reference) or vice
> versa.
>
> > (or rather, if I was *forced* to pick one, I'd go with the AU,
> > since that at least has the command-line arguments)
>
> It hasn't.  Let's walk through this, comments in <<<>>>.

The AU -- Application Usage -- lilypond-application -- most
definitely *does* contain the command-line arguments.

> Notation
> ========
>
> This book explains all the LilyPond commands which produce notation.
>
>           Note: The Notation assumes that the reader knows basic
>           material covered in the Learning and is familiar with the
>           English musical terms presented in the Musical Glossary.
>

> And that's it.  The links don't lead to the notation manual, but merely
> to a short blurb that tells you what the notation manual would be if you
> actually managed to find it.  I mean, wow.  Talk about wow.

And I told you that it was added to git already:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commit;h=e71d9dda07d43f16c4de5d8aca710b819de95a86

I mean, wow.  Talk about wow.

... or maybe you didn't notice the VERY NEXT piece of text?
Read it now
-----------

   * *note Notation: (lilypond-notation)Top.: read this manual in
     the same format as this one.

> > I'd accept a patch that produces an info version of just the
> > "Manuals" page.  Or made it so that "info lilypond" started at the
> > Manuals page.
>
> So that I can see what the manuals would mean, were I able to figure out
> where to find them?

The links are there.

> Please try getting at any detailed information yourself with the
> existing documentation tree before making fun of me.
>
> I may be stupid, but at one point of time you have to cater even for
> stupid people.

Let me be clear.
- are the info docs not finished?  yes.
- are the pdf, html, etc. not finished?  yes.
- did I completely underestimate the pain in doing ANYTHING with
  the lilypond build process?  yes.
- would I have completely changed almost everybody about the past
  summer if I had realized how much trouble it was to change the
  build system?  sweet mao yes.

That said, the info docs are a fairly minor concern at the moment,
given the mess that the rest of the system is.